Saturday, October 22, 2011

saturdays in the fall

When the Covingtons return from the beach and have washed all the sand out of the clothes, shoes and wherever else it may be hiding, the focus immediately turns to how many days we have until college football begins. Matt starts a countdown on the laptop to LSU's kickoff and we begin to pull out the jerseys and take inventory of game day attire! We love getting up on saturday mornings and turning on GameDay. We boo at bad picks and cheer for anything positive for LSU :) It's a time we get to sit around as a family and share our love for football. I know this may seem foreign to some women because many of my friends can take the game or leave it. And then there is my mom, who is so sick of hearing about football by October she can't see straight!! I don't know where I got it, but I can't get enough of it!
One monumental moment in my life is directly linked to college football. One day after Matt and I were engaged I asked him "When did you know you loved me?" He thought for a minute and said "When we were at the USC-Tennessee game and UT was on a long run play. I was so frustrated and about to yell out about USC's lack of tackling and you stood up and yelled WRAP HIM UP!! I knew right then I loved you!" Hahaha!! This cracks me up because I had no idea what I was doing that chilly day in October!! I was getting my future husband to fall in love with me! I thought I was just being an outraged fan!! I know God hand picked Matt and I for each other because he loves sports so much and they are so integral in his everyday life that he needed someone to share in that love. I read the 5 Love Languages book but I tell ya, he forgot one...speaking the love language of sports! I am so blessed to be able to share in the games that make my husband's world go round. It's a love of sports that makes me love my husband more, AND he, in return, can love the fact that I share this world with him. I have a shirt that says "Real women ,watch football, the rest of yall just stay in the kitchen" I honestly didn't understand the shirt entirely until I wore it in front of my mom and she was highly offended by it...well not really but she played it up pretty big to give me a hard time! What can I say, I sometimes miss the entire point....blonde!
So I write this as we sit side by side on the couch, watching GameDay, waiting for a 3:30 kickoff for LSU and Auburn. Geaux Tigers!!! We're #1 right now and hoping to be playing for a National Championship in January...we'll see! That's one thing about the game of football...it's so unpredictable. Hmm kinda like marriage and mommyhood! Well, I'm off to boil peanuts and await the Corso picks of the week!!! Have a happy football day...may all your teams bring home a win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment