Saturday, October 29, 2016

Are you afraid of the dark?


Fear.
I don’t even like the way that words feels as I type it. The bible says perfect love casts out fear and while I know this is true, quite frankly sometimes I am just scared. I know God has it in his hands, I know it was already written in my life story long ago but I still find myself wanting to hide under the covers. You know that feeling when you were little and you could either get out of bed in the dark room to walk to your parents room or hide under the covers, yeahhh... that feeling. Oh how I wished I could magically make a light come on back then because there was NO way I was walking through the dark!!
One thing that has me ducking under my cozy comforter lately has been a decision for my career. Now for those of you who don’t know me well, I am a planner! I love the feeling of buying my calendar/planner for the year and color coding activites for my family. Each person has their own color and it all coexists in my planner…also known as my brain! I enjoy having things laid out and quite frankly dislike when last minute things get thrown at me. You can see how this NEVER happens with a husband, two children and a teaching job!! So of course I have had to learn to roll with the punches a bit, but I still love when the month is mapped out and more importantly when I know where I am going. So, there has been a new development in my life lately and I am scared because God gave me a path, but I have NO IDEA what’s down it, how I get down it or even how to take the first step! You can see how this would make me a little weak at the knees. So I’m researching scripture that talks about fear and the main idea I keep getting is that we aren’t supposed to do it. Easy as that. Just don’t fear. Don’t worry, don’t fear. And I don’t know about you but that just aint me! I wouldn’t say I’m a fearful person, but I would say that there are moments when I am afraid, I know God has my back, yet I cannot release the fear. 
For example, I had one of my best friends tell me she had a growth she was worried about. So naturally I began to worry too. We prayed as she went to her MRI and she did great! But the text I got later said “Surgeon called me back and wants me to come in the morning for a biopsy.” No. No no no, we prayed about this and you rocked your MRI and everything was going to be okay. Here’s the deal-- We didn’t know if this would be okay. I spent the morning on my face praying that God would keep the dreaded C word from the diagnosis. I prayed he would be the great healer I knew he was and just take it away. I prayed for all the things I had asked Him for in the last month to just be scratched and to please oh please answer THIS prayer. (How many of you have done that? “God, all the other stuff was so meaningless in light of this new situation, please forget my other prayers and answer this one!!”) I then spent the rest of the morning trying to keep myself busy so I wouldn’t sit and worry. I knew that my worry would truly change nothing. Every song that came on the radio was total affirmation that God heard my cries and was sending comfort and reassurance through the beautiful melodies and words.  But I know how these things go. I see the diagnosis for other people these days and how we have children with cancer and young mothers with cancer and friends’ parents with cancer. I know how it goes. Sometimes God doesn’t take it away. He is the great healer. Still. But sometimes it’s not his will. So I decided to do the only thing I could and help make a prayer shield for her. I contacted family and the wonderful ladies of my small group to pray hard for her to have peace and for the diagnosis to be positive. I spent the next few hours flipping back and forth from praying to planning. I was planning how I would help with her children if she had to have lots of procedures. Planned out how I would go with her to chemo and bring popsicles. Planned how we would laugh through it all because I would not allow a disease to change one single thing about our amazing friendship. And then I got the text. With trembling hands I opened it and read that there would be no planning on my part. God had already taken it in His hands. No cancer. Tears of joy fell, praises rang out and the greatest thanks went up. God had answered the prayer. The one that I asked him to please remember. Now I’m not saying my prayer was the one that did it but I do know there was a chorus of women praying for the same thing and I know He heard us all.

So why the fear? The scriptures in Isaiah tell us “For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you do not fear I will help you” That image I see of God taking hold of my hand (and maybe squeezing it between both of his because sometimes I need that reassurance of two hands encapsulating one) and sweeping the debris from my path with his foot so that I won’t stumble is enough to make my eyes sting with tears and my throat go dry. When we meditate on His word and visualize the scriptures like a movie in our mind, how can we have time to fear!? We must hide the word in our hearts each day so that we are walking in the truth. Satan, the great deceiver, wants us to tiptoe through life like someone walking through a Halloween exhibit. Jumping at each sound and imagining the worst possible scenario. Jesus doesn’t want that for us. He wants us to bring things into the light and let the truth be revealed. He doesn’t want things kept in the dark because that’s where Satan whispers lies to us. Lies that tell us to be afraid. Lies that tell us the worst will probably happen.  And lies that ultimately tell us to wonder if God is really with us. Whether it’s a fear of the unknown path God set before us or the doctor visit we are dreading, we cannot allow ourselves to believe the lies. We cannot wallow in the worry. We must meditate on the promises of God and hold on so tightly to that hand He has stretched out to us and KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that He is “working all things together for good for those who love Him.” What a relief, right?! We have a good, good Father who walks through the dark room, leans down and turns on the light. Now I may have stumbling feet sometimes that want to fall to the right or left, but my heart wants me to walk in that light my Father turned on for me. The light that shines down an amazing path.  And guess what—I’m finding I don’t even care that I am unsure where it leads!! I trust my Jesus more than my calendar/planner. I know you do as well so I encourage us now to walk in the light my friends. Walk in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment