Friday, December 7, 2012

'Tis the season

Last night I got to share my two "mommy" roles. I got to watch some of my beautiful dancers onstage with the middle school chorus concert I helped choreograph AND I got to see my two kiddos share the stage with them for one scene! I have been helping with the chorus concert since I was a senior in high school and my mom and I always love doing it together and having an excuse to listen to Christmas music in October--we're choreographing, we HAVE TO! ;) Needless to say I've helped with many concerts through the years and I am always so impressed how they come together with great singing and entertaining dances. The students always work hard and even after disasterous dress rehearsals they pull it together the night of the performance! The choral director is like a second mom to me and we share a special relationship! I think my mom and her have more fun than the kids do some days when they are teaching choreography and dancing around like a couple of teenagers! They give each other laughter and love, such a precious thing these days!
Eli got to make his chorus concert debut at 3 months old as baby Jesus, but this year he and HesterGrace were the children in the last scene when the chorus sang "Christmas is for Children." Some of our dancers who are in chorus also performed a lyrical dance while the kids were onstage. I felt myself tearing up because there on the stage were two products of my heart, right there, I could actually see it. I've been feeling lately like I don't know if I can do both...be a good mom and a good dance teacher. But I realized last night that's just what the devil wants me to believe. I can do both. God has given me these precious children and a love for dance that I want to share. What a blessing! I want to post pictures of last night on my mirror so when the days come where I feel like I'm failing and letting everyone around me down I can look at the picture and remember the promise God made me. He may let me bend, but He won't let me break! He won't give me more than I can take. I just have to remember to ask Him to  help me through it all.
A big thank you to Beth Kirkland and the staff at BLMS for always welcoming us into your school and letting us be a part of the "christmas magic" each year. We love watching the kids grow up through the years and hearing the 6th graders say they can't wait for their first concert! Beth does such an amazing job teaching each year and I hope she won't retire before my kids make it to middle school :) I must say I feel old some years when I see the graduating class of BLHS and think...wait they were just in the concert as Santa or Rudolph or Suzy Snowflake, but last night I really felt my age!! Last night the sweet little 6th grader who picked up Eli and took him to sit under the Christmas tree with her was one of the flower girls in mine and Matt's wedding!!!!!! Yeah, umm how did that happen?! Isn't she still 5?? It was so crazy and weird and fun at the same time! She was part of something that allowed Eli to be here today even though he wasn't even a thought on that day! Now they're sitting together under the Christmas tree! WOW! The concert was a huge success (as always) and the Elvis Frosty the Snowman stole the show!! Another one down and already looking forward to the next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment